11.4 Students trace the rise of the United States to its role as a world power in the twentieth century.
- List the purpose and the effects of the Open Door policy.
- Describe the Spanish-American War and U.S. expansion in the South Pacific.
- Discuss America's role in the Panama Revolution and the building of the Panama Canal.
- Explain Theodore Roosevelt's Big Stick diplomacy, William Taft's Dollar Diplomacy, and Woodrow Wilson's Moral Diplomacy, drawing on relevant speeches.
- Analyze the political, economic, and social ramifications of World War I on the home front.
- Trace the declining role of Great Britain and the expanding role of the United States in world affairs after World War II.