Pair share questions:
• What are the biggest differences between the two ships?
• What does this information tell you about the differences between
New England and Virginia in the 1630s?
Examining Passenger Lists
• What do you think will change once plantation owners in the Chesapeake area begin replacing indentured servants with African slaves?
• Imagine the setting: Officials are collecting this information as passengers board the ship? Is the setting noisy or orderly? Are officials guaranteed to get accurate information? How do you explain the fact that all the passengers swore allegiance to the Church of England (we know that many immigrants were religious dissenters, like the Puritans who were escaping because ofreligious persecution)?
• What more do you want to know about these passengers? What information is missing from these lists? How might you go about finding that information?
Passenger list from the ship Planter, which sailed from London to Boston in 1635.
Passenger lists from the ship America from London, England to Chesapeake, Virginia.