Now the first notebook is in and I am grading them. We are reaching the more difficult part of the year. All students can earn the grade they want but we need to work diligently and stay focused. We cannot to miss out on learning opportunities. At least 70% of our classmates need to work on improving their skills for high school. Our prefrontal cortex development and basic study skills are needed. This chapter 10 notebook is the first of the Spring semester. There are many that still need to turn in the notebook. Chapter 10 was a short chapter and we spent 2.3 weeks on the notebook. I have polled the classes and it seems that the 15 minutes a night is not being followed by a large portion of classmates. Please read the Habits of the Mind again. We need more positive self talk and focus on our studies. Obi-wan Kenobi you are the hope. We can become the best students we would like to be.
In 2015, we were able to reach around a 95% interactive notebook turn-in rate this time. This year only 30%. Are coupons enabling students or helping? Please do not abuse the chance to turn in work late. It is a bit harder because other classes are starting to get demanding as well, and it is definitely a different year. Parents can still email when students fall behind and that is great; I am able to get back ASAP to ensure we don't lose students who are home sick.
For this notebook I am making arrangements on the grades. Most who have done well will get As as usual. But I need to help those who have changed their work habits since winter break. I have decided some grade will be marked different than the grade meets the standards of the rubric for our class. The changes will try to help your grade stay in a place so you can achieve a C-A. However, if you have done nothing we are still asking that you follow the class social contract and try your best. We will be trying to ensure the access to learning is possible.
The main skills and tasks students did not do in their personal interactive notebook [PIN] were:
- Effort and neatness
- No table of contents—should be added to each day.
- No cover page-usually not four colors
- Page numbers should be on T.O.C.
- NO attempt at the artwork. It does not have to be perfect, but it shows you actually tried. Some draw stick figures carefully and color nicely.
- Annotations of notes from class and homework.
- All assigned outputs were attempted, not all complete.
- Input/output and the order of things. Actively listening to instructions is so very important.
- Getting help from a partner when we pair-share in class. In common core 65% of the time students work together while the instructor facilitates the interactions using the 4 C’s.
- Name, date, title, are still missing on all or most pages.
- Completion of the Quickwrite is one other main area. Notes should be used to finish the writing at the beginning of the period.
- Basic instructions are very important to train the brain for learning. The students need to know that getting better is the goal.
- Not reading—the assigned reading at home is important.
- taking the time needed and not doing a maximum 15mins every night like I ask.
- Students that are improving are using the class time to pair share. Not wasting time, which means less homework too.
As for the Agenda check: homework, classwork, and the final class write-ups are needed to be written in the agenda to be checked Thursday night for parents to initial. We went over this again, again, again and again, at least 40 times or more. Not sure what is happening the students are just saying they are being lazy. It is unclear to me because it is the easiest of all the things we do.
Remember we have been working on the social sciences since K-6. We need to have a greater understanding of our world. To learn how 7th and 8th grade social studies are linked to the ideas of diplomacy and enlightenment, then look at links below:
You are about @76 school days from being a high school freshman. Please see if you can meet with a class ambassadors listed below every couple of days when you seem stuck, each class day is best if they have time to help you. If you do not want your name listed please tell me. From the consistent grades and abilities our classmates have demonstrated, these students have a grasp of all the elements of our class interactive personal notebook. The more people we can add, we will be able to have more study buddies and pair-share partners.
The ambassador students follow the above list and usually this below:
- Write down the homework in the agenda.
- Complete agenda write-ups at the end of class.
- Write the classwork into the notes.
- Add to the T.O.C. the assignment before class, at least a date entry for the CNN or textbook chapter notes, classwork, or daily assignment. Outputs are also on T.O.C.
- In class verbal participation and collaboration is used and perfected.
- Most all spend at least the 15 minutes a night, but many do more minutes.
Please try to follow this Student Dialogue:
Johnny: Maria, would you please help me on _________? [asking nicely]
Maria: Sure, I think I have time.
Johnny: Can I copy it?
Maria: NO. Mr.C says we cannot copy, but I will talk to you about the assignment and show you how I did it.
Johnny: I am sorry I asked to copy I know I was not supposed to ask that because it is unreasonable. I think it is reasonable to listen to you about how you did this assignment. Where you found things, used handouts, and what you used to guide you on the assignment.
Maria: Thanks for understanding we should follow the social contract on all our assignments. Here is what I did..........
Johnny: Thank you for taking the time to help me. I hope we can do this again in the future.
The End of conversation.
Please use the blog to ask questions or communicate ideas and questions to the class. Please be respectful and follow the social contract. I will add more when I check the grades again each week.
Most important the 8 hours sleep is pivotal for pre-frontal cortex growth and brain repair. A tired student makes many more mistakes in all classes and gets into more conflicts when they are not rested and ready for school’s learning. Plus flu season is really bad this year, and sleep will help your body fight getting sick.
Assignment for when you get your notebook back: Review your notebook. Look through each page, read any comments. Go back to this blog. On the front of your notebook, write the numbers on the list above that you think apply to your notebook the most.